Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for October, 2008

Torie Daves gave me permission to post the following minutes from the first meeting of the new Alumnae Steering Committee; my apologies for not posting it this weekend as promised.

I’m pretty excited about the renewed interest in Argyll Academy. When I started this site, I hoped it would help keep Argyll’s memory alive somewhere, even if only on a tiny piece of internet real estate. And now… wow!

So much is happening, thanks to people like Torie and Marcia Berman and the committee members listed below. Thanks to all of you!

I encourage all alumnae to get in touch with Torie and or Marcia and let them know your thoughts about the future of an alumnae association.

Go, Argyll!

ARGYLL STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING

SEPTEMBER 3, 2008

Attendance: Toni Boim, Torie Daves, Kathy Griffin, Laura McKinzie, Stacy Naito, Marcia Berman

Absent: Toni Heebner, Carrie O’Brien, Mindy Molinary

Meeting called to order by Chairperson – 6:55 pm

1. Welcome by Torie

Introductions of committee

2. Elections:
o Torie read a description of the board positions.
o Toni Boim was elected to the position of Vice President.
o Marcia Berman will take minutes until a Secretary is elected. This will come up for vote at the October meeting.
3. Formation of Committees

It was decided that we would table this until the committee is larger. In the meantime, the current attendees will be involved with each area.

4. New Business
1. School name change communication: Torie, Stuart, and Marcia will be meeting the Rev. Clarke to discuss the Argyll name change. There is still animosity among some the alumnae about how the name changed was handled. Torie would like to get information first hand from Rev. Clarke and then share it with the alumnae. From that point on, there will be no further need to address it.

Kathy suggested we create a mission statement with regards to the committees’ purpose and include it in the letter we will be sending out. The letter will also invite others to join the committee.

2. Reunion Options: After much discussion the consensus was to do an Argyll-only reunion in the winter and include all Argyll alumnae in the larger June both-school reunion. Laura suggested hosting a weekend of events.
3. Outreach Strategy: It was decided that a mission statement was important in getting the message out to alumnae. We discussed the following: “The mission of the Argyll Steering Committee is to reconnect alumnae with the past to promote the unique experience shared at Argyll Academy and to rekindle the spirit of the community.”

+ The committee would like to come up with a different name other than steering committee.
+ Marcia will create committee letterhead with committee members listed.
+ It was suggested that we include alumnae who can’t make the meeting due to location through video conferencing and email communications. Those who receive email minutes can provide feedback which we will include in the next meeting minutes.
+ We would like to put a link on the CH website directing people to Bonnie’s Argyll site and also make a page for Argyll on the CH site. We would highlight an Argyll Woman of the Month possibly highlight a teacher and list events.
+ Discussed using school names after alumni names, i.e., Toni Phillips Boim AR ’80 – Stuart Posin CH ’96.
+ Send a Save-the-date type of card to announce committee

4. Torie had a list of events collected at her reunion which are a combination of women only, couples and family events:

Women only
Cocktail party
School-based activity – lunch with teachers
Establish mentoring group for current students
Reestablish alumni choir
Career Fair
Alumni softball, volleyball, tennis game
Senior Sisters – match up alumnae with seniors either by college choice or professions
Spa Day
Bunko/Poker group
Volunteer in Community
Emergency training class
Family
Picnic
Hikes
Whale Watching
Couples
Wine Tasting
Harbor Cruise

+ Kathy suggested the Revlon Run/Walk. She has written for information.
+ We will say on event invitations “this is not a fundraiser”
+ Laura volunteered to host a cocktail party at her house
+ We also discussed regional events

5. Meeting Dates: It was decided that we would meet once a month while we are gearing up. We had tentatively set October 8th as the next meeting however, that is a religious holiday so the next date will be October 22nd if all agree.

Recap:

Marcia will send class lists to committee who will start tracking down contact information and ask for class reps.

Torie will draft a letter to alumnae after the Rev. Clarke meeting

The letter will include our calendar of events, the Argyll Scholarship, and items mentioned above.

Marcia will send committee list of where alumni reside.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »